It’s difficult to recall a period before LED light bulbs these days. Do you recall using incandescent light bulbs? the ones that become so hot that you are hesitant to touch them? They were created in 1879, which is more than 140 years old!
Prior to LEDs, the only available choice was incandescent lighting, which only produced light using 5% of the energy they used overall. How about the remaining 95%? All of that was consumed by the heat produced by those lights.
The development of LEDs completely changed the energy picture since, on average, they use at least 75% less energy and last around 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
And would you believe it, most LED lights are about the size of a cracked pepper grain.
We’ll give you a brief introduction to LED lights in this post, including how they operate and how much money you could save if you switched from incandescent to LED lighting. It’s amazing how much cash you can save by simply changing the light bulbs.
It is in fact a set-it-and-forget-it method of cost-cutting.
What Are LEDs and Why Is Better?
A light-emitting diode, or LED for short, is a semiconductor that emits light when an electric current flows through it. LEDs may be found in many hues, but red, blue, and green light are combined to create white light.
Compared to incandescent lighting or compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, which were LEDs’ forerunners, LEDs are far more energy-efficient. Unlike CFLs, LED lights don’t contain mercury and generate very little heat.
They work for thousands of hours longer. The precise figure varies depending on the business and the lightbulb, but LEDs typically have a lifespan of 50,000 hours. Compared to incandescent lights, this lasts 50 times longer, while CFLs last 8 to 10 times longer.
Are LEDs Expensive?
Not as much as you may believe. Similar to solar panels, when a new technology is introduced to the market, its operating costs are often greater. These days, an 8-pack of LED lights costs about $10. That works down to slightly more than $1 per bulb, comparable to an incandescent cost.
Are LED Lights Energy-Efficient?
Absolutely. You could save $75 a year by switching out just 5 — that’s right, only 5 — of the most frequently used light bulbs in your house.
Imagine switching to LED bulbs for all of your home’s lighting sources. Yes, replacing every bulb in your home will come with a substantial up-front expense, but depending on how frequently you use them, the bulbs can last a very long time.
By doing nothing more than replacing a few bulbs in your house, you might save hundreds of dollars on your power bill. How simple was that?